What can I expect during a service retreat week at Bethlehem Farm?
When you join us for a week you can expect to:
- dig deeper into your spirituality and the meaning of life
- experience a countercultural Catholic community
- wake up early, work hard, and go to bed with that “good-tired” feeling every night
- serve with our neighbors in need of home repair, and other basics
- be challenged and supported physically, emotionally, and spiritually
- have a voice which others will listen to and respect
- take a vacation from technology for the week
- join a Catholic community and pray in traditional and creative ways
- meet nature face to face
- learn sustainable practices; live into solutions to climate change
- spend time in the organic gardens
- become friends with donkeys, dogs, and chickens
- prepare meals from scratch
- feel uncomfortable at times
- challenge any Appalachian stereotypes you may have
- see God, your friends, and the world in which you live from an entirely new perspective
Tell me more!
- We offer several types of service-retreat weeks, designed for different audiences: high school weeks, college weeks, family week, adult week, and “masters” week.
- Check out our calendar to learn more about our schedule of service opportunities.
- Registration materials are here when you’ve decided to reserve some spots.
- Read the “Introduction to Bethlehem Farm” if you haven’t already–other pre-trip resources and pre-trip meeting formats are also available there.
- View the video, featuring service week volunteers, below to learn more–other videos can be found here.
- Post-trip meeting formats are provided to bring the experience back home.
Who can come?
Our cozy farm house facility can accommodate up to 32 volunteers per service week. On a typical week you will find high school or college groups intermingling from different schools and parishes. Some other weeks are designed for adults (groups or individuals) and families to come and serve and pray with others from around the country.
Thoughts from Bethlehem Farm volunteers:
“I learned how to love in a whole different way.”
“The service projects were the most valuable part for me. I not only helped someone in need, but I learned something from the people and was able to share something of myself with them.”
“I hadn’t prayed for the better part of a decade…Doing so and learning how to do so was one of the best experiences I’ve had.”
“I learned about hospitality, sustainability, conservation, faith, openness, and much more…I have a new respect for others.”
Ready to Register?
Follow the links above to check our calendar, find forms, and get your week scheduled today.
Contact our Volunteer Coordinator, Steve at email@example.com or 304-445-7143