What can I expect during a High School Week or College Week at Bethlehem Farm?
When you join us for a service-retreat week you can expect to:
- serve alongside other volunteers your age
- have fun with people you just met
- dig deeper into your spirituality and the meaning of life
- experience a countercultural Catholic community
- wake up early, work hard, and go to bed with that “good-tired” feeling every night
- serve with our neighbors through home repair & other tasks
- be challenged and supported physically, emotionally, & spiritually
- have a voice which others will listen to and respect
- take a vacation from technology for the week
- join a Catholic community and pray in traditional and creative ways
- meet nature face to face
- learn sustainable practices; live into solutions to climate change
- spend time in the organic gardens
- become friends with donkeys, dogs, and chickens
- prepare meals from scratch
- feel uncomfortable at times
- challenge any Appalachian stereotypes you may have
- see God, your friends, and the world in which you live from an entirely new perspective
WHAT IS THE WEEK LIKE?
HOW DO I REGISTER?
Click here to find all the forms necessary for registration. Here you will also find information about how many chaperones are required, how many students you can register, cost, etc.
HOW DO I PREPARE FOR MY WEEK?
WHAT HAVE OTHER VOLUNTEERS SAID ABOUT THEIR SERVICE-RETREAT WEEK EXPERIENCE?
- “I’ve never really been exposed to the concept of simplicity and this week made me realize how large of an impact I can have.”
- “This week really opened my eyes to the challenges the rural poor and the Earth face. Now that I understand these issues more I will better be able to improve sustainability in my own life and have true care for the poor.”
- “I realized how Christ wants us to live more simply, build relationships with others, and care for His creation.”
- “I have realized here how much my heart burns for service. The prayer experiences throughout the week helped me to reach deeper into my faith and connect more with God.”
Contact our Volunteer Coordinator, Steve at firstname.lastname@example.org or 304-445-7143