WHAT CAN I EXPECT DURING ADULT WEEK AT BETHLEHEM FARM?
When you join us for adult week you can expect to:
- dig deeper into your spirituality and the meaning of life
- experience a countercultural Catholic community
- wake up early, work hard, and go to bed with that “good-tired” feeling every night
- serve with our neighbors through home repair and other tasks
- be challenged and supported physically, emotionally, and spiritually
- have a voice to which others will listen and show respect
- take a vacation from technology for the week
- join a Catholic community and pray in traditional and creative ways
- meet nature face to face
- learn sustainable practices; live into solutions to climate change
- spend time in the organic gardens
- become friends with donkeys, dogs, and chickens
- prepare meals from scratch
- feel uncomfortable at times
- challenge any Appalachian stereotypes you may have
- see God, your friends, and the world in which you live from an entirely new perspective
WHO CAN COME?
Anyone 18 and over can join us for Adult Week. No prior experience necessary!
Our cozy farm house facility can accommodate up to 32 volunteers for adult week. On a typical week you will find folks intermingling from all over the country.
HOW DO I REGISTER?
HOW DO I PREPARE FOR MY WEEK?
WHAT HAVE OTHER ADULTS SAID ABOUT THEIR ADULT WEEK EXPERIENCE?
“I learned from the many engaging conversations I had with the homeowners and my work crew, especially that we are put on this earth to give ourselves up in order to do something bigger than ourselves.”
“This place is the only place I’ve found so far that completely lives out what God calls us to, so I thoroughly felt fulfilled.”
“I was able to experience Christ so much throughout every day through the good and the bad, and that peace and joy that comes from loving Him and being loved is something I want to continue.”
“Adult Week is is the most beautiful and rare invitation. Adults from all places, walks, and stages of life are invited to live for a week in a lifestyle based on the gospel cornerstones of prayer, service, community, and simplicity. This is a unique opportunity at Bethlehem Farm because it is a week tailored to adults, rather than high school or college youth. Let’s face it – we adults have our needs! But let’s also face the fact that we adults often have more ability to take lessons learned at The Farm and put them into practice when we return home. It never fails – every time I spend a week at the Farm I end up making a change at home, sometimes small and sometimes bigger: Starting a garden, getting to know my neighbors better, connecting more closely with Creation. Relatedly, Adult Week is also unique because of the conversations it facilitates. We adults often have more wisdom, more insights, more real-world questions to contribute to the week. I have had some of of the most incredible talks at the dinner table, and some of the most life-changing fireside discussions of my life during Adult Week. I would invite to Bethlehem Farm’s Adult Week any adult who has a hunger for simple living, good conversation, prayer, learning about Appalachia, great food, and peace. Where else and when else are you going to get that type of invitation?”
Contact our Volunteer Coordinator, Steve at firstname.lastname@example.org or 304-445-7143